The Dance Instructor certificate program trains students for positions in the commercial and artistic areas of dance. Graduates of the program are qualified as instructors in ballet, modern, jazz, tap and world dance forms in private studios, recreation or other community dance programs. The Dance Department also recommends that students complete their General Education Requirements for an Associate Degree.
Students are able to apply principles of movement and creativity to all forms of dance, demonstrate skills of instructing dance to communicate through movement and words, and apply information learned in other disciplines to the art form of dance.
Instruction will utilize both classroom work, using a variety of instructional methods (lecture, lab/demonstration, independent and group projects) and internship experiences in business/industry to prepare the student for job requirements.
Students will be able to:
- Demonstrate knowledge of proper alignment, use of turnout and ability to apply alignment corrections in a teaching situation.
- Communicate effectively through movement and words.
- Successfully design and write a lesson plan appropriate to the level and age of the target students.
- Construct and teach a dance phrase in a particular style: modern dance, ballet, tap, jazz, hip hop or world dance.
- Incorporate three learning modes and an exercise “progression” in teaching methodology.
- Correctly count and set tempo in duple and triple meter for a live dance accompanist or for recorded music.
- Teach a technique or creative movement dance class for children or adults.
Certificate of Achievement & Associate Degree
Complete the Certificate of Achievement and Associate in Arts Graduation Requirements as outlined in the Graduation Requirements section of the catalog.