Applying for Graduation
If you are seeking an Associate in Arts Degree, Associate of Science Degree, AAT, AST or a Certificate of Achievement, you must submit a petition for graduation at the beginning of the last semester in which you will be completing the requirements for graduation. Click on the link below for more information.
Students with MyOCC access:
Applications for the Associate Degree and Certificates of Achievement are available on MyOCC for students with MyOCC access. Login to MyOCC>Student Tab>Apply To Graduate
Students without access to MyOCC:
The graduation application is available online as a fill in form or in the Enrollment Center (Watson Hall-First Floor) during the graduation petitioning periods below. You must meet all the graduation requirements listed in the OCC course catalog.
Graduation Application Filing Periods:
| Application Filing Period Begins
|| Deadline to submit an application
|| Status |
| November 1
| January 5
| August 1
If you have questions about your graduation application you may contact the Graduation Office via email at email@example.com.
ASSOCIATE DEGREE GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
All students attempting to earn an Associate’s Degree must meet one of the three general education patterns as well as meet requirements for a Major offered at Orange CoastCollege. Residency unit requirements as well as GPA requirements are listed below.
1. OPTION 1 – Non-Transferrable.
OPTION 2 - CSU Breadth Requirements
OPTION 3 - IGETC (Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum) Requirements
2. Majors/Areas of Emphasis
3. Unit and GPA Requirement:
Students must complete at least 60 degree units with a minimum 2.0 grade point average. Students must
complete all courses in their program of study with a grade of C or better.
4. Residency requirements:
A minimum of 12 units must be taken at Orange Coast College. At least six of these units must be in courses required for the major.
ASSOCIATE DEGREE FOR TRANSFER (ADT)
The Student Transfer Achievement Reform Act guarantees admission to a California State University (CSU) campus for any community college student who completes an “Associate Degree for Transfer”, a newly established variation of the associate degrees traditionally offered at a California community college.
The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) is intended for students who plan to complete a bachelor’s degree in a similar major at a CSU campus. Students completing these degrees (ADT) are guaranteed admission to the CSU system, but not to a particular campus or major. In order to earn one of these degrees, students must complete a minimum of 60 required semester units of CSU-transferable coursework with a minimum GPA of 2.0. Students transferring to a CSU campus that does accept the ADT will be required to complete no more than 60 units after transfer to earn a bachelor’s degree (unless the major is a designated “high-unit” major).
This degree may not be the best option for students intending to transfer to a particular CSU campus or to a university or college that is not part of the CSU system. Students should consult with a counselor when planning to complete the degree for more information on university admission and transfer requirements.
What does this mean to OCC students?
• By following this degree pattern, you will complete the general education requirements for the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements.
• You will be CSU GE Certified – This will appear on your official OCC transcript. You will complete the requirements for a Certificate of Achievement from OCC for the CSU General Education Breadth Requirements.
• You will be ready to apply to the CSU (California State University).
• You will have completed the Major Preparatory Requirements for your degree program.
Students who complete the requirements for an ADT are guaranteed:
• Junior standing at the CSU
• Priority admission consideration over all other transfer students when applying to a CSU Baccalaureate (BA/BS) degree program that has been deemed similar to the student’s community college area of emphasis.
• The transfer associate degree student will only be required to complete 60 additional prescribed units to qualify for the similar BA/BS degree.
ADT GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS
The following is required for all ADT degrees:
1. Completion of 60 CSU-transferable semester units.
2. While a minimum of 2.0 is required for admission, some majors may require a higher GPA. Please consult with a counselor for more information.
3. All courses in the major must be completed with a grade of C or better. A “P” (Pass) grade is not an acceptable grade for the courses in the major.
4. Certified completion of the California State University General Education Breadth pattern (CSU GE Breadth) or the Intersegmental General Education Transfer Curriculum (IGETC) pattern.
Orange Coast College currently offers Associate Degrees for Transfer in the following Majors:
Early Childhood Education
Elementary Teacher Education
Additional majors are being developed. Please see a counselor for more information.
The commencement ceremony is held annually during the last week of May. All students who have petitioned for graduation during that academic year may participate in the ceremony. Commencement information is updated regularly on the Commencement website.
If you've already graduated from Orange Coast College and you'd like to order a duplicate copy of your diploma or certificate of achievement, please submit a Diploma Replacement Request2013Interactive.pdf and a Credit Card Payment Authorization Interactive.pdf to the Graduation Office.
To request a duplicate copy of a Certificate of Specialization or Certificate of Completion contact the appropriate Division Office.