English Placement Tests
The Orange Coast College Assessment Center offers a native English, English as a Second Language (ESL), math, Chemistry A180, and Spanish test.
The native English, English as a Second Language (ESL), and math tests are not "pass or fail" tests. They simply measure your proficiency in English and math to help you pick the right courses for enrollment.
The Assessment Center offers placement testing Monday through Friday by walk-in testing. Please check the calendar on the
main Assessment Center page, as the hours change month to month.
All students must have applied to Orange Coast College and received their OCC student ID number before taking the placement test.
It is important that students prepare adequately before taking a placement exam. Practicing the sample questions below will ensure students are prepared when taking their placement exam.
There are two tests to choose from:
- for native English speakers - English (Accuplacer)
- for non-native English speakers - English as a Second Language (Accuplacer)
Both tests are untimed.
To determine which English test to take, ask yourself the following questions. If you answer "no" to one or more of the following, you should take the ESL placement test.
- Is English the first language you learned as a child?
- Did you complete most of your education in the English language?
- Do you usually speak English with your friends and/or coworkers?
Mathematics Placement Tests
There are four math levels to choose from:
- Algebra Readiness Test
- Elementary Algebra Test
- Intermediate Algebra Test
- Precalculus Test
- More sample questions can also be found on the
Chemistry Placement Test
The prerequisites for CHEM A180 - General Chemistry are CHEM A130 and MATH A030 (or higher). CHEM A130 is a Prep for General Chemistry course. If you believe that you have sufficient knowledge to skip this course, you can take the CHEM A180 test offered in the Assessment Center. The test is timed 45 minutes and there are 44 questions. We provide you with both a calculator and a periodic table.
- Even if you pass this test, you must still meet the math requirement for CHEM A180.
- This does not qualify you to skip CHEM A130 for other courses. This test is only valid for CHEM A180.
Chemistry A180 Assessment Study Guide
Please bring the following items to your test session:
- Photo identification such as a driver's license or high school ID
- Your Orange Coast College student ID number
- A #2 pencil