Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content
Probation and Disqualification

The Student Success and Support Program is all about providing services to students that will help them be more successful. Most of these services are available to every student right when they apply. However, some of these services are follow-up services that continue throughout the semester, and interventions which provide help if and when students need it most.  

What is Probation?

A student is on Probation when he or she meets one of the two conditions below:

  1. Academic Probation 
    • Has attempted at least 12 semester units at a district college (includes OCC) and
      • has a GPA of less than 2.0 in the most recent smester completed, OR
      • has a cumulative GPA of less than 2.0 in all units attempted.
  2. Progress Probation
    • Has attempted at least 12 semester units at a district college (includes OCC) and the percentage of units in which the student has been enrolled for which entries of "W," "I," and "NP," are recorded reaches or exceeds 50 percent.

What is Disqualification?

A student who is on academic or progress probation shall be Disqualified whenever one of the two conditions listed below are met:

  1. Academic Disqualification: Any student on academic probation for two consecutive semesters shall be academically disqualified. However, any student on academic probation whose most recent semester GPA equals or exceeds 2.0 or whose cumulative GPA equals or exceeds 2.0 shall not be disqualified, but shall be continued on academic probation.
  2. Progress Disqualification: Any student who is on progress probation for two consecutive semesters shall be disqualified for lack of satisfactory progress. However, any student on progress probation whose most recent semester demonstrated that fewer than 50 percent of his/her units were "W," "I," and "NP," shall not be disqualified but shall be continued on progress probation.

Any student disqualified from a college within the Coast Community College District may be dismissed for a minimum of one semester. A student dismissed from one district college shall not attend another district college during the semester of disqualification. (Title 5, Section 55756)

How Can You Tell If You Are On Probation or Disqualified?
Your Academic Status is always posted in your MyOCC account. You can find it under the "Student" tab.

What Should I Do If I Get a D, F, NP or a W, but Am Not Yet on Probation or Disqualification?
For information on whether you can retake a class, or what you can do to replace a failing grade, check the Counseling FAQ page, you may also make an appointment with a counselor.

How Can I Get Off Probation?
To get off probation, you will need to improve your GPA. We reccommend that you make an appointment with a counselor to discuss your options. You can also look into the "Other Services That Can Help You Succeed In College" below to see what other departments on campus can help you.   

How Do I Return to OCC After Being Disqualified?
You should make an appointment with a counselor to learn what you need to do.

I am struggling in a class. What should I do?
You should get help immediately. Visit your instructor's office hours and explain what you're struggling with. Ask your instructor for his or her advice about what you should do.  You can also visit the Student Success Center for tutoring if you just need more practice with the course material. Finally, if you're not sure if you should drop the class, or if you're beginning to rethink your major or academic goals, you should make an appointment with a counselor.


Other Services That Can Help You Succeed In College

There are a number of reasons why a student might struggle in college. Sometimes the reason is academic--the course work is hard, and you may need extra help or tutoring to succeed. It might also be because other obligations, such as family or work, are restricting the resources you have to devote to school. Regardless of why you are struggling, there are many services that are available to help you.  

Tutoring and Academic Assistance

  • Student Success Center. The Student Success Center offers free tutoring for OCC students. For the tutoring schedule and more details, visit the Success Center page.  
  • Counseling. Meeting with a counselor can help keep you on track. Counselors are available to help you clarify your personal, career, and educational goals. Visit the Counseling page to make an appointment online or by phone.
  • Library. The library staff can assist you with research. Visit the library's Instruction and Research Help page to learn more. 

Special Services

  • CalWORKs. CalWORKs provides student-parents with additional services including academic/career advisement, emergency transportation assistance, childcare grants, and more. For more information, visit the CalWORKs information page, or stop by the CalWORKs office in Watson Hall.
  • Disabled Students (DSPS). The Disabled Students department offers programs and services to students with physical, learning and psychological disabilities. For more information, including office hours, visit the DSPS page.   
  • EOPS/CARE. EOPS/CARE provides "over and above" services to students with economic and academic barriers to their success. For more information, visit the EOPS and CARE  pages.      
  • Guardian Scholars Program (Foster Youth). The Guardian Scholars Program supports students exiting the Foster Youth system. For more information about eligibility and program benefits, visit the Guardian Scholars page.
  • Puente Program. The Puente Project provides writing, counseling, and mentoring to a small group of students each academic year. For more information about Puente's services, or to request more information, visit the Puente page.
  • Re-Entry Center. The Re-Entry Center serves adults that are returning to school after a break in their education. Services include counseling, workshops, tutoring and more. Visit the Re-Entry Center page for more information.
  • Transfer Center. If you have questions about transfering to a four-year school, visit the Transfer Center page for more information.
  • Transfer Opportunity Program (TOP). TOP is open to all students who are incoming freshman, first generation college students, and have an interest in transferring to a four-year institution. For more information, visit the TOP page.
  • UMOJA. UMOJA is a program dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experience of African Americans and other students to promote student success for all students. For more information, please contact Clyde Phillips (714) 432-5895.
  • Veterans Program. The Student Veterans Program is available to help OCC's vets acquire their G.I education benefits, and achieve their education goals. Visit the Student Veterans Program page to learn more.