Service Complaint

Orange Coast College and its employees make every effort to serve students and the community courteously and efficiently, while acting in accordance with Coast Community College District policies as well as federal and state laws.

Individuals dissatisfied with an Orange Coast College employee, department, or process should make a reasonable effort to resolve the matter on an informal basis with the personnel involved as soon as possible. If addressing the complaint informally does not lead to satisfactory resolution, individuals may escalate their complaint to the appropriate supervisor. If, after discussing the matter with the appropriate supervisor, individuals are not satisfied with the outcome, they may file a service complaint so the appropriate administrator can respond and investigate the complaint.

Submit to Orange Coast College's Service Complaint Form

Grade Grievance

Recognizing that a trusting, positive relationship between students and instructors is vital to successful learning and teaching, the grade grievance process at Orange Coast College is intended to provide all parties with due process in the event of a disagreement or misunderstanding regarding grades. The grade grievance process determines if there was a violation of the California Education Code; it does not address personality, character, or styles of teaching.

Pursuant to California Education Code § 76224(a) and California Code of Regulations, Title 5 § 55025 the instructor of the course shall determine a student's grade and that grade shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency. California Code of Regulations, Title 5 § 55025 states, “In any course of instruction in a community college district for which grades are awarded, the instructor of the course shall determine the grade to be awarded each student in accordance with this article. The determination of the student’s grade by the instructor shall be final in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith, or incompetency.” 

Students who believe they have a grade concern, they should make a reasonable effort to resolve the matter on an informal basis with the course instructor who assigned the grade. If the grade concern is not resolved, students may escalate their grade concern to the respective academic Dean. Students may submit a grade grievance petition if their grade concern is not resolved informally with both the course instructor and Dean. Grade grievance petitions must be submitted prior to the end of the sixth week of the subsequent semester, following the semester or summer session in which the grade was assigned. 

Inquiries about Orange Coast College's grade grievance process should be directed to:

  • Shannon Quihuiz, Associate Dean, Student Relations & Title IX at (714) 432-5930 and

Discrimination Complaints

The Coast Community College District is committed to equal opportunity in educational programs, employment, and all access to institutional programs and activities.

The District does not discriminate unlawfully in providing educational or employment opportunities to any person on the basis of race or ethnicity, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, military or veteran status, or genetic information or because he/she is perceived to have one or more of the foregoing characteristics, or based on association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.

Please visit Coast Community College District for more information regarding its Notice of Nondiscrimination.

The District encourages timely reporting of discrimination and harassment complaints to aid its ability to stop the behavior. Non-employment complaints must be filed within one year of the date of the alleged unlawful discrimination. Employment complaints must be filed within 180 days of the date of the alleged unlawful discrimination. 

If you believe you have been subjected to unlawful discrimination based on a protected characteristic, you have the right to file an unlawful discrimination complaint. Please complete and submit the unlawful discrimination complaint form to Orange Coast College's Human Resources Department (2701 Fairview Road, Costa Mesa CA 92626, Attn: Office of Human Resources). You also have the option to participate in an informal resolution process.

Unlawful Discrimination Complaint Form (PDF) 

 For more information about the District's process, refer to: 

Inquiries regarding Section 504 can be addressed to Orange Coast College's 504 Coordinator:

  • Shannon Quihuiz, Associate Dean, Student Relations & Title IX at (714) 432-5930 and

Sexual Misconduct

Orange Coast College is committed to creating a safe and inclusive campus environment. Students, staff, administrators, and faculty are entitled to an educational, working, and living environment free from sex and gender-based discrimination and harassment, including sexual harassment, sexual assault, dating and domestic violence, and stalking.

Coast Community College District Board Policy BP 5910 Sexual Misconduct and Administrative Procedure AP 5910 Sexual Misconduct outline the process to address alleged violations of prohibited conduct by students. Orange Coast College will provide a prompt and equitable response, including:

  • Informing the impacted parties of the availability of supportive measures,
  • Considering the impacted parties' wishes with respect to supportive measures, and
  • Explaining the process for filing a formal complaint.

Supportive measures are individualized services to help restore the impacted parties' access to Orange Coast College's programs and activities. Examples include academic assistance, contact limitations, employment assistance, referral to counseling or other healthcare services, and safety planning, including on-campus Public Safety escorts. 

If you have questions or would like to discuss your concern with an administrator, please contact: 

  • Shannon Quihuiz, Associate Dean, Student Relations & Title IX at (714) 432-5930 and
  • (CONFIDENTIAL) Larry Valentine, Director, Mental Health Services at (714) 432-6858 and

You may also submit the online form to receive an outreach from the Title IX Coordinator.

For more information, please visit the Title IX website

Veterans - GI Bill Feedback System

You may submit a complaint to the Veterans Administration (VA) if you believe that OCC is failing to follow the VA Principles of Excellence. Visit the VA Website for more information or to submit a complaint.

Most complaints, grievances or disciplinary matters should be resolved at the campus level.  This is the quickest and most successful way of resolving issues involving a California Community College (CCC).  You are encouraged to work through the campus complaint process first before escalating issues to any of the following resources. Issues that are not resolved at the campus level may be presented:

  • To the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges (ACCJC) if your complaint is associated with the institution’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards. ACCJC is the agency that accredits the academic programs of the California Community Colleges.

  • To the CCC Chancellor’s Office by completing a web form if your complaint does not concern CCC’s compliance with academic program quality and accrediting standards.

  • If your complaint involves unlawful discrimination, visit the Chancellor’s Office website.

For more information, please visit the California Community College State Chancellor's Office Complaint Form site.