California DREAM Act

OCC school code = 001250

Note: if you are considered a dependent student on the Dream Act application – you should have your parents’ financial information ready and parent signature is required.

AB540 Students

AB 540, passed in 2001, allows students who meet all of the following criteria to pay the same tuition and fees as resident students at California public colleges and universities. Starting on January 1, 2013, the California Dream Act extends Cal Grant A & B Entitlement awards, Cal Grant C awards, institutional grants, and community college fee waivers to students who meet these same criteria. To receive Dream Act aid, AB 540 and AB 131 you must:

  • Graduate from a California high school or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED, also called General Educational Development test).
  • Enroll in at a California Community College.
  • if required, complete an affidavit stating you have filed (or will file when you are eligible to do so) for proper immigration status.
  • To get a Cal Grant, you must also meet all other Cal Grant eligibility.

Please visit for more information.

Please see the college Admissions Office to determine if you are AB540 eligible.

Available Types of Aid:

Several types of state and institutional aid are available to AB 540 students as a result of the California Dream Act. The videos below describe the different programs possibly available to Dream Act Students

* To apply for any or all of the financial aid programs requiring the California Dream Application, you only need to complete and submit ONE application. *EOPS/Care/Calworks has a separate application to determine eligibility for those programs. Please check with those offices for more information.

**OCC submits GPA Verification electronically for those students with at least 16 completed units of applicable college level courses.

**Refer to the GPA Verification Form available on the California Dream Act website to help determine who needs to certify your GPA. If you have further questions, check with your Financial Aid Office.

Financial Support and Resources for DACA Recipients

Additional information to assist with financial wellness


Money Geek Logo